One of the benefits of NURBS curve over, say Bezier curve, is the ability to create offset curves exactly. How to proceed with such computation? Do I just translate the control points?
Quickly Googling produces:
- This related question on StackOverflow
- "Computing offsets of NURBS curves and surfaces" (paper)
- Discussions of 2.
To summarize them:
- Suggests that this is impossible to do exactly.
- Gives an algorithm to compute an offset curve approximately (though to within a tiny epsilon). If you can't access the paper, then:
- Look at any of these. This presentation for example seems to cover it.