When warping the contents of an arbitrary quadrilateral to another by extrapolating equal points along both the "lengths" and "widths", thus ignoring all perspective effects / foreshortening, we are not using a "homography" or "affine" mapping.

Is there a correct name to describe the type of mapping we are doing?

(Looking for example image ...)

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Bilinear interpolation? $\endgroup$
    – user106
    Commented Aug 25, 2017 at 15:52
  • $\begingroup$ It does look like it from that link. In fact it's the first term that popped into my head but the initial Google hits seemed to be mostly about something that looked different to me. $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 25, 2017 at 16:11

1 Answer 1


Yes, this is called bilinear interpolation or a bilinear mapping. The term "bilinear" crops up more commonly in the context of image resizing or resampling, but it's the same basic idea for transforming quadrilaterals—it's just that the interpolation is applied to the vertex positions of the quad, instead of the colors of pixels in an image.

One paper that briefly discusses bilinear mappings of quadrilaterals is Fundamentals of Texture Mapping and Image Warping by Paul Heckbert; see section 2.2.2.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.