I'm working on my own engine and I'm struggling to find any techniques that give okay-ish reflections in realtime on dynamic scene. So far the only technique I found that work in real time on dynamic scene is SSR but it's really heavy and have a lot of bias.
The idea of having multiple cubemaps and updating them in real time crossed my mind but because that mean re-rasterising the scene that also mean that every cubemap updated in realtime is a shadow casting that I can't do.
So my question is: is there another technique other than reflection probe (cubemap) or Screen Space Reflections ?
The artstyle of the game where the engine will be used is based on a lot of "almost mirror" reflections and it's not PBR.
[Edit] To be a bit more precise with what I'm searching:
- I do not need more than one bounce.
- I do not want any baking that cannot be done at "loading time".
- I prefer if the technique work with a per-pixel normal but if you know a technique that work with a per-vertex normal I am also open.
- I am open to techniques that only work in specific cases (like tiny scene, deferred rendering only etc...) as long as it meet other requirements.
- If your technique is a feature of a global illumination technique I am also open but I would prefer if it work stand alone.
- If it can easily support GGX it's better but not required.
- Inaccuracy is not a problem as long as it is predictable by the artist