By the plasma effect I mean an animation that looks like this:

enter image description here

I have seen some codes, like these



and messed with the code to try to grasp it, but I'm not understanding what is going on, for example, if there's a main math concept behind it that makes the effect possible, or a shader technique that I don't know about.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ There is very nice intro/discussion on the topic here: thebookofshaders.com/13 $\endgroup$
    – pmw1234
    Oct 29, 2022 at 21:23
  • $\begingroup$ Looks like each point on a grid has an oscillating texture coordinate (just one), which is interpolated and used to lookup a colour in a 1D gradient texture. Also the grid is shifting to the left. As far as plasma effects go, this one isn't even very plasma-y. $\endgroup$
    – user253751
    Nov 15, 2022 at 6:04


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.